*pWp*CL@n* Forums
Welcome to *pWp* clans official forums. If you have any issues logging in please contact TaD#8370 or TheDude#8394 on Discord: https://discord.gg/whMrrWgHMf
*pWp*CL@n* Forums
Welcome to *pWp* clans official forums. If you have any issues logging in please contact TaD#8370 or TheDude#8394 on Discord: https://discord.gg/whMrrWgHMf

You are not connected. Please login or register

Desktop help

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Desktop help Empty Desktop help Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:59 am

Virtuosity

Virtuosity
Leader
Leader

I been looking into getting a desktop and was wondering if I could get you computer techs help

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
CPU: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Hard Drive: Seagate Momentus ST9750420AS 750GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Now I am not sure if it is all compatible or what computer case to get. On top of that all do I need a cooling system?

I got all this for $739

2Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:46 pm

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

It's good....but with AMD, you can get more for less. It's better to build then buy built as well. AMD is typically cheaper due to FSB and how they build their processors. They use a model for almost all of them instead of building them speed/size specific. Example: My AMD phenom 2 black 555 duel core ($99) is the same exact product as their phenom 2 black 955 quad core ($199)...it's just factory locked on the other 2 cores. That's easily crackable. I have everything someone gets speed wise from the 955, by buying the 555 and unlocking it. Almost all AMD processors can do that and it saves a ton of money.

The price also seems a bit high to me. I built mine with a new clear case, LED fans, copper cooling, extra LED case lights, nice Nvidia 1 GB/256 bit graphics card, 8 GB DDR3 ram, 5 MP web cam, unlocked quad processor 3.2 ghz, 500 GB HDD, new mobo (mini ATX, but all I needed), 3 channel speakers, and even a new 22" LCD monitor for $700 before rebates.

You could do way better....and aside from your rendering....you wont even tap into 1/10th the power that computer has. And as far as rendering.....no chance you do it enough to matter. Remember, almost nothing even yet uses more then 2 cores. Due to the life span of most processors (1000-5000 hours) that thing will be dead and gone well before you need its potential.

http://www.pwpclan.org

3Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Virtuosity

Virtuosity
Leader
Leader

So what do you suggest for specs. I am willing to put money out there just need to make sure it is a great computer for 3D modeling and rendering huge amount of memory. I think the most I will go up to is 1,500 but I know for a fact I can get one way cheaper than that and a lot better.

4Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 pm

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

You have to look at what programs you are going to be using. Unless you are doing a ton of animation, 3d modeling still wont be bad with something slower then you posted. And as far as rendering..... I doubt you are cutting movies on your computer, so again you are really over buying for what you need. A quad vs 6 in rendering at the same ghz won't be a real noticeable difference unless you are doing a full length feature or using a ton of graphic enhancements. I don't know exactlly what u will be doing, but if you do a build yourself, like I said, you can go a duel core AMD and unlock it to quad with out any cost to you. My computer itself with out all the additions and monitor was under 500....and it renders fast enough for me and never had any problems with lag.

5Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Virtuosity

Virtuosity
Leader
Leader

Well I am going to be getting into animation and short films soon I just need a computer that can handle the programs.

Adobe CS5
Autodesk Maya & 3D Studio Max

There are a ton more programs I will have just those are probably the heaviest.

So what do you think?

6Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 pm

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

CS5 is pretty slimmed down from CS4...so you don't need a ton to run it really. Most autodesk/cad programs don't need much either since it's used for schooling. They keep the resource requirements pretty low. 3D max is a hog. I played around with it on my last computer and it was fairly slow and even slower to render. But, I had a slow duel core and only 3 GB ddr2 ram. I'm sure with my new one I would be fine. Corel is low resource in most of their programs though. You have to check around on system requirements....but you will never find a program thats not "industrial" that needs anywhere near what you posted.

What you are getting isn't bad for the price, don't get me wrong....but you are spending more to get more then you need. A good AMD/Intel quad core and 8 or so GB ram and you should be good with a decent card. You can always add ram so getting a decent graphics card will make the world of difference. You could spend 500 and max your ram and get a good processor....and a 1/2 ass card and be stuck...or get a good quad core, 4-8 ram and a solid card and run rendering faster.

When I get my net back (still out from the storms the other day) I can help you build if you like. And never shop online. Theres a Microcenter close-ish to you and they will beat any online prices. Always shop stores if you can over the net on computers.

7Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:51 am

Virtuosity

Virtuosity
Leader
Leader

Yeah I would appreciate that.

And honestly maybe I was aiming to high for a computer.. my first real desktop/computer and I want it to be good for a while. Also I thought newegg had some of the best prices.

8Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 am

NO DATA

NO DATA
Quake Live Member
Quake Live Member

They do...for the most part, you'll always find good deals out there..

Like my neighbor, he got a PS3 for $40 - $50 cuz the discs didn't stay on track, and he fixed it pretty easily..

9Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

Microcenter advertises to beat any price from newegg and tiger direct. And being a brick and mortar store....it's always best to shop there if you can.

10Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 pm

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

AMD Phenom II X2 560 3.3 ghz Black Edition Boxed Processor 1 $87.99
SKU: 982603 (Unlockable to a Quad Core)
Cooler Master Vortex Plus Universal CPU Cooler 1 $23.99
SKU: 735167 (Copper Cooling)
ASUS M5A87 Socket AM3+ 870 ATX AMD Motherboard 1 $59.99
SKU: 525642
Corsair Vengeance Series 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-10600)... 1 $74.99
SKU: 401422
Kingwin 750 Watt ATX Power Supply 1 $59.99
SKU: 819151
EVGA 015-P3-1545-KR GeForce GT 545 1536MB GDDR5 PC... 1 $139.99
SKU: 556027 ($114 after rebate)
AZZA Spartan 102E Mid Tower ATX Gaming Computer Ca... 1 $51.99
SKU: 357087
vitamin water power-c dragonfruit (c+taurine) 20 ... 1 $1.69
SKU: 721142

Grand Total with Tax: $539.42 (even with the vitamin water)

That includes everything aside from the HDD...which you already have. Includes case and copper cooling heatsink. Also can add more ram if needed or start with a larger kit. Figure on about an extra $20-50 if you want 8+ MB. Some have mail in rebates, totals about $50. That price also includes tax.

www.microcenter.com Pick the store closer to you for their stock/prices.

11Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:46 pm

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

Here's a good ram deal there. Would cost you about $15 more to double what I put above. Granted, Kingston is fairly low end and Corsair is closer to the top of the line.....It still would work good.

HyperX blu 12GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Triple Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Three 4GB Memory Modules) $89.99

12Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Virtuosity

Virtuosity
Leader
Leader

LOL Vitamin Water
How do unlock the other two cores?
Also want a very good graphics card. Assuming that is a good one Very Happy

13Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:58 pm

T@D

T@D
*pWp*Founder*
*pWp*Founder*

You unlock through BIOS. It's easy.

14Desktop help Empty Re: Desktop help Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:58 am

Virtuosity

Virtuosity
Leader
Leader

Okay you will have to give me a tutorial or something.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum